Career Coaching & Career Advice Blog
The articles you need to create
a successful and fulfilling career journey.
Career Boosting Tip #10: Resign / Quit your Job with Style
If you do find yourself in a situation where you are resigning from your post, be classy. How you quit your job can actually be a career booster. And conversely, resignations that are ill-timed, angry or emotional or clumsily handled can be career limiters. Here are some obvious reasons why resigning in a classy way will help your career:
You might get hired back in the same or bigger job
Every single person you worked with is a potential formal or informal reference
Every single person you worked with has the ability to think of and recommend you for opportunities their networks serve up. Or not.
It is a really small world, and bad business behaviour does get around.
It is the right thing to do, and ultimately, you will feel better about it.
As I reported on a previous post, developing a strong set of references is high on the list of challenges people face in their job search. Well guess what. A lot of that problem begins right here with how you leave your workplace. No matter how aggrieved or justified you feel, avoid the impulse to screw your current employer. You want them to miss you and regret your loss, not celebrate your departure.
Give proper notice. Consider your timing when possible
Break the news appropriately - to the right people, in the right order
Tie up loose ends
Help train your replacement
Speak with your colleagues and collect their contact information (don’t leave without establishing those connections)
There, that wasn’t so hard.
- Announcements (11)
- Executive Career Management Articles (43)
- Personal Leadership Articles (21)
- Executive Job Search Articles (34)
- Personal Marketing Articles (17)
- Executive Resume Articles (14)
- LinkedIn Articles (11)
- Career Paths & Models Articles (8)
- Tools & Resources (4)
- Personal Value Proposition Articles (9)
- Interview Skills Articles (9)
- Networking Articles (8)
- Career Assessment Articles (4)
- Career Change Articles (5)
- Career Transition Articles (5)
- Personal Development Articles (3)
- Personal Branding Articles (1)
- Career Development Articles (1)
- interview coaching (1)