Get a weekly dose of actionable career advice, insights, and resources to keep the business of YOU on track.
- from the desk of Ian Christie
CEO & Executive Career Coach
How to Conquer what’s Holding you Back
Do the Work by Steven Pressfield
Between where you are now and the future you envision for yourself is an inner enemy. That enemy is resistance. From Steven Pressfield:
On the field of the Self stand a knight and a dragon. You are the knight. Resistance is the dragon.
The bolder your vision, the more formidable your enemy. Every one of us goes toe-to-toe with this enemy everyday. From sticking to an exercise regime or healthy eating, to professional projects like:
Launching your own thing
Proactively moving out of your current job
Expanding your professional network
All of these require momentum, confidence and going the extra mile, outside of your day-to-day. The dragon takes the form of excuses, alibis, transparent self-justifications, and a million reasons why we can’t / shouldn’t / won’t do what we know we need to do.”
I face this dragon everyday. Over-thinking and over-preparing are two weapons I need to defend against for my dragon. What are yours?
Author Steven Pressfield has delivered to those intent on pursuing their goals an indispensable resource. Arm yourself with this knowledge and commit to doing battle everyday with your dragon.
Do the Work is a shorter version of his other work, The War of Art. This is a book to read and then refer to again and again when courage wains.
- Announcements (11)
- Executive Career Management Articles (43)
- Personal Leadership Articles (21)
- Executive Job Search Articles (33)
- Personal Marketing Articles (16)
- Executive Resume Articles (14)
- LinkedIn Articles (11)
- Career Paths & Models Articles (8)
- Tools & Resources (4)
- Personal Value Proposition Articles (8)
- Interview Skills Articles (9)
- Networking Articles (8)
- Career Assessment Articles (4)
- Career Change Articles (5)
- Career Transition Articles (4)
- Personal Development Articles (2)
- Personal Branding Articles (1)
- Career Development Articles (1)
- interview coaching (1)