Career Coaching & Career Advice Blog
The articles you need to create
a successful and fulfilling career journey.
Get Ian's Weekly Newsletter
A weekly dose of insightful, actionable & motivational career advice for executives, managers & professionals. Keep the Business of You on track.
Delivered every Saturday at 7am PT.
Resume Length: How Long Should My Resume Be?
Size editing your resume
The first and most important rule in resume length is that your resume should be as long as it needs to be to best showcase and market your skills for your target positions, but no longer.
Of course, different countries and industries have different standards. For the Canadian and US market, 1, 2, or 3 pages is standard, although there are some industry exceptions.
I am sure that some readers may still be confused. Okay, 1-3 pages, I get that. But, which?
Go back to my openi…
One of the most common mistakes I see in resumes at the managerial and executive level is the omission of context in professional experiences. Why is context important in your resume?
1. Whenever you make a resume reader work hard to figure out your potential value and fit, you are likely not going to benefit.
2. Resumes are selling documents and context at the company, role, and career path levels can be additional arrows in your quiver.
3. Fit is a subtle but important thing. You are helping high…
- Announcements (11)
- Executive Career Management Articles (43)
- Personal Leadership Articles (21)
- Executive Job Search Articles (34)
- Personal Marketing Articles (17)
- Executive Resume Articles (14)
- LinkedIn Articles (11)
- Career Paths & Models Articles (8)
- Tools & Resources (4)
- Personal Value Proposition Articles (9)
- Interview Skills Articles (9)
- Networking Articles (8)
- Career Assessment Articles (4)
- Career Change Articles (5)
- Career Transition Articles (5)
- Personal Development Articles (3)
- Personal Branding Articles (1)
- Career Development Articles (1)
- interview coaching (1)