Career Boosting Tip #4: Do more than "dust off" the resume
Update your resume. Yes, I know, so obvious. But, I am suggesting more…
First, your resume should be relatively up-to-date. What does that mean? I recommend that anyone who has been in a job for more than 6 months should update their resume to include their current role. You never know who is going to call. Or what internal or external opportunities might come around. (Or, what negative surprise might you one Monday AM.)
More importantly, the process of capturing what you have done and what you are currently working on is an important, ongoing career management imperative.
To do more than dust off your resume, consider…
Focusing on outcomes, the difference you have made rather than solely on duties and responsibilities
Capturing your true professional strengths and putting them on the resume. Don’t be shy.
Developing a summary pitch about what you offer and where you fit. You can’t and shouldn’t be all things to all employers, so don’t try. Figure out what you do and do very well, and capture that.
Of course, we would be delighted to assist you with BoldCareer’s resume writing services. However, you can do it yourself as well. It takes an investment of your time, but one that will pay off. Make it part of your to-do list to boost your career this year.
- Announcements (61)
- Executive Career Management Articles (44)
- Personal Leadership Articles (42)
- Executive Job Search Articles (34)
- Personal Marketing Articles (16)
- Executive Resume Articles (14)
- LinkedIn Articles (12)
- Career Paths & Models Articles (12)
- Tools & Resources (10)
- Personal Value Proposition Articles (9)
- Interview Skills Articles (9)
- Networking Articles (8)
- Career Assessment Articles (5)
- Career Change Articles (5)
- Career Transition Articles (4)
- Personal Development Articles (2)
- Personal Branding Articles (1)
- Career Development Articles (1)